The Tullises were a large Ohio clan who, after several years in Illinois, settled in Coldwater Canyon in 1874. Or rather some of them eventually did: newspaper ads from that year showed that Woodford Tullis (1849-1895), the eldest of eight siblings, was running a watch and jewelry shop in DTLA. His brothers Charles (1858-1933), William (1860-1946), and Oliver (1864-1938) plied the same trade, while their father Andrew (1827-1877) was a photographer. However, evidence shows that Andrew and Charles also raised honeybees in these hills. At least they did until Andrew died young from “congestion of the lungs” and Charles and his wife Lucinda (whose maiden name may have inspired Franklin Canyon) left for Sherman – today’s WeHo – in the 1890s. William, his mother Matilda (1829-1920), and sister Ada (1868-1929) all remained in Coldwater Canyon. Having once owned 160 acres here, the Tullises’ property had been reduced to 13 acres at the time of William’s death. Tullis Drive was named in 1952.