This “beach” was Albert Henry Beach (1854-1936). Born in Shakespeare, Ontario, Canada, Beach came to the U.S. as a child. He moved to California in the 1870s – first to San Rafael, where he worked as a telegraph operator, then to the new town of Escondido. There, in 1886, he embarked upon a long and successful real estate career. Hollywood presumably offered greater opportunities than Escondido, so in 1899 Beach, his wife Annie, and their three daughters settled in L.A. Beach purchased 180 acres north of Hollywood in 1905 and subdivided it three years later as Beachwood Park, with Beachwood Drive its thoroughfare.