It seems a weird name for a street, since most of us know “cataract” only as a medical condition in which the lens of the eye becomes cloudy and blurs one’s vision. But back in 1887, when Cataract Avenue was first laid out between Bonita and 5th, “cataract” also meant “large waterfall”. In fact the latter definition was much more common in those days, although both were in use. So was there once a waterfall near this street – perhaps in the hilly area north of 5th? Maybe a trickle after a heavy rain, but otherwise doubtful.