Present-day Hacienda Place was the original location of Alfred Street, now located due south. This first Alfred was laid out in the 1906 Hacienda Park tract, run by Charles A. Sumner. Although Sumner had a son-in-law named Alfred, this street’s actual namesake was Alfred Horace Rush (1856-1942), who owned the land. Rush was a Point Huron, MI fruit distributor who came to L.A. around 1887 to try his luck in real estate. He returned to Michigan but was back in late 1905, when he placed an ad selling 85 acres of “Hollywood foothill property” – the property that Sumner and his investors would soon snap up and subdivide as Hacienda Park. Rush and his wife Annie continued to live on this land, on Fountain Ave. After Annie died in 1911, Rush remarried and retired to Santa Monica.