Named for Charles Almon “C.A.” Sumner (1846-1928), a Londoner who came to California in 1873 with his wife Georgina (see Clarissa Avenue) and two kids. What followed were several failed ventures, including brief ownership of Rancho La Laguna in Riverside County and managing the Pico House hotel in DTLA. Finally, in 1886, Sumner found his calling in real estate and auctions, and it made him rich. The Sumners bought a house on George and Clara Shatto‘s Orange Heights tract in mid 1887; that’s when C.A. assisted the Shattos in purchasing Santa Catalina Island and laying out Avalon. (He was the city’s first sales agent.) By the time the Shattos lost Catalina in 1891, C.A. Sumner was one of the top realtors in Los Angeles County. After setting up the Hacienda Park tract in West Hollywood, he built a mansion for himself and his family on nearby Hayworth Avenue in 1913. He lived there for the rest of his life.