Named for Frederick Ohm (1868-1943), a cigar maker-turned-real estate broker who opened a tract here in 1924 with business partner Earl Newmire and members of the Piuma and Foix families. Ohm was raised in Philadelphia, the oldest of six kids born to German immigrants. In 1899, he married the much older Lena Meyer (1855-1907), but she died within eight years and Ohm never wed again. Curiously, the 1907 Los Angeles City Directory indicates that the couple actually lived here that year; perhaps they returned to Philly due to Lena’s poor health. At any rate, Ohm was back in South L.A. by 1918. Three years later, he quit making cigars and started selling houses.