An L.A. street with a Czech name is a rare thing. Plevka Avenue, named in 1923, must be for Mathias “Matt” Plevka Jr. (1859-1931) and/or his wife Emma Shotts Plevka (1859-1950), as they were the only recorded Plevkas in town at that time. Matt’s parents immigrated from Bohemia (present-day Czech Republic), Emma’s from Germany. The couple left their native Iowa for sunny Los Angeles shortly before 1920; Matt was in the hardware business and Emma dabbled in real estate speculation. The official owner of the tract that gave us Plevka Ave. was the Bank of Italy – today’s Bank of America – but the Plevkas may have been mortgagees.