Higuera Street

The Higueras were the oldest non-indigenous family to live on the land that would become downtown Culver City, Palms, and Cheviot Hills. It all started in 1821 when the Spanish governor of Alta California deeded the 3,127 acre Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes (“Bulls’ Corner Ranch”) to Bernardo de la Luz Higuera (1790-1837), son of one of L.A.’s earliest alcaldes (mayors). Although eventually the rancho would be acquired by José de Arnaz (see Arnaz Drive), many Higuera descendants were born and raised there, most notably Bernardo J. Higuera (1857-1933), the true namesake of Higuera Street. A farmer who was active in local social and political circles, B.J. Higuera was appointed to Culver City’s inaugural board of trustees in 1917. He had been married to Concepción Rocha (1861-1942) since 1891 – her own family had owned Rancho La Brea – but they never had kids. Higuera Street was named in 1921; nearby Krueger Street honors Bernardo’s sister Rosario.