Named for Walter Jarvis Barlow (1868-1937), a New York physician who went by his middle name. Dr. Barlow came to L.A. in 1895 to soothe his tuberculosis; he married Marion Brooks Patterson three years later. Marion’s stepfather happened to be Alfred Solano, who in 1903 named this small Solano Canyon street in honor of the young doctor. Solano also helped finance the Barlow Sanatorium, which opened in 1902 to treat tuberculosis patients in Chavez Ravine. It exists today as the Barlow Respiratory Hospital. Jarvis Barlow was also a land speculator, partnering with his friend Sidney Torrance in purchasing part of the Domínguez holdings, as well as the 4,200 acre Freeman ranch, to establish the city of Torrance, among other developments. The Barlows’ Sierra Madre mansion “Villa del Sol d’Oro” is now owned by a Catholic girls school.